Recruitment is a big deal these days. It's the doldrums of WotLK, as content stalls and eyes focus ahead to an unreleased expansion pack; some players loose interest, some just have a change of summer plans, some graduate and have to completely change their lives. It's expected.
Of course, with that, comes a slew of recruitment posts on forums, which have to be repetitively bumped back to the first page of a forum to ensure maximum advertisement. This is referred to as "bumping."
My guild is one of these forum recruiters.
Now, I have a strange kind of honor upon myself to be creative in my bump posts. It feels like spam to just bump a thread for the sake of bumping. Posting filler content to bump a post to the top of a forum feels like downright cheating. Examples include:
- bump bump
- And every other variation of these in repetition, punctuation, and capitalization.
Yes, Scythe, I AM LOOKING AT YOU.
So, when I get a poke from my guild to go help bump the recruitment threads, I take a moment to consider what I'm going to write. Some examples:
- "Dot dot dot" Scythe? Moar DOTS! :3
- I'm here cuz Scythe made me do it. /ducks
- I'd shapeshift out of tree to cast more moonfare, but then people might die and that'd be bad.
- AH! Loud noises! I wonder if sound can travel through a pally bubble?
- Moo! Moo, I say, Moo!
- <---spends more time ARGIEING about bumping threads than actually bumping them. Just sayin'.
- Yellow leaves flash by;
A punch as I run in: rawr!
Rabid melee tree.
- Vroom vroom kitty kitty with a pretty post!
Zippy zippy tru da forum
Scythe's done bumps da most!
Shifty shifty CAPS LOCK I CANS SINGS A SONG
Here's hoping they aren't scared away
As I sing it all day long!
Come on... how many recruitment threads sing for their potential applicants?
Now, there are bonuses to this: it keeps you and your guild entertained while doing what would otherwise be an excessively boring chore of thread-bumping. It also gives your potential applicants a glimpse at your guild's personality: their ability to write legibly, their creativity, their typos or use of l33t 5p34k, and how formal or joking they are with each other.
BTW, we're recruiting a healer (sham/pally) and a melee dps (rogue/shaman) for 10-strict raiding, 11/12 hardmodes. ;) If you are interested, clicky here to app!