Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dual-spec Macros: Resto/Balance

With the addition of the dual-spec feature, at some point came the addition of the [spec:x] modifier for macros. I only recently discovered it, and wish that I had noticed it earlier!

The following macros are tweaks I have done to macros I posted earlier, with the [spec:x] modifier added in to allow the macros to switch spells based on my spec.
  • [spec:1] is my cow's primary spec, restoration.
  • [spec:2] is my cow's secondary spec, balance.
  • Change the numbers for your own spec, as appropriate!

resto-Swiftmend/balance-Nourish + Regrowth Toggle:
This is a macro I have keybound for "e" when not in moonkin form.

/stopcasting
/cast [mod,spec:2] Starfire; [mod,@mouseover,help] [mod,help] [mod,@player] Swiftmend; [@mouseover,help] [help] [@player] Regrowth

  • Primary Spec: if a modifier key is held, it will cast Swiftmend on friendly mouseover target, friendly target, or else on self.
  • Secondary Spec: if a modifier key is held, it will cast Starfire instead.
  • Otherwise, it casts Regrowth on friendly mouseover target, friendly target, or else on self.


Healing Touch / Nature's Swiftness:

This is a macro that I have keybound as "2" on both of my druids.

#show [spec:1] Nature's Swiftness
/stopcasting
/cast [nomod,combat,spec:1] Nature's Swiftness
/cast [help,@mouseover,exists] [help] [@player] Healing Touch
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

  • Secondary spec: it will never attempt to cast Nature's Swiftness, only Healing Touch.
  • Primary Spec: casts Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch on friendly mouseover target, friendly target, or else on self.
  • If any modifier key (alt, ctrl, or shift) is held or if you are NOT in combat, then it will not cast Nature's Swiftness.
  • If Nature's Swiftness is on cooldown, it will still attempt to cast the Healing Touch.


Tree Form / Nourish Mouseover or Moonkin Form / assisted Starfire:
This is a macro I keybound as "t" for my caster druid.

/cast [noform:5,nomod:shift,spec:1] Tree of Life; [noform:5,nomod:shift,spec:2] Moonkin Form
/stopmacro [nomod:shift,noform]
/cast [spec:2,@focustarget] Starfire; [@mouseover,exists,help] [help] [@player] Nourish

  • If you are not already in Tree Form or Moonkin Form, it will put you in the appropriate form.
  • Secondary spec: if you are in Moonkin form, it will assist your focus target to cast Starfire.
  • Primary spec: if you are in Tree form, it will cast Nourish on your friendly mouseover target, else on yourself.
  • Shift-click to cast Nourish or Starfire (assisted from focus target) regardless of form.


Feral Charge/WG/Starfall:
This is a macro I keybound to a G15 key (G12, specifically) on both of my druids.

#showtooltip
/cast [form:1] Feral Charge - Bear; [form:3] Feral Charge - Cat;
/stopmacro [form:1/3]
/cleartarget
/cast [spec:2] Starfall;[@mouseover,exists,help] [help] [@player] Wild Growth
/targetlasttarget

  • Bear form: it will cast Feral charge - Bear.
  • Cat form: it will cast Feral Charge - Cat.
  • Primary Spec: if you are in neither cat nor bear form, it will cast Wild Growth. Contains the cleartarget for fixing the "no target"/"out of range" bug.
  • Secondary Spec: if you are in neither form, it will cast Starfall.


Faerie Fires with Cooldown Monitors:
While technically keybound to "y" on both of my druids, I rarely stretch to press that key in combat, and usually just mouse-click this on my screen. It has a place on my screen because it contains so many useful cooldowns to monitor.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift,form:3] Tiger's Fury; [form:1/3] Faerie Fire (Feral)(); [button:2,harm,spec:2] Insect Swarm; [mod:shift,spec:1] Swiftmend; [mod:alt,spec:1] Nature's Swiftness; [mod:shift] Force of Nature; [mod:alt] Typhoon; Faerie Fire




A note on "Cooldown Monitor" Macros:

You can see here how I use such "cooldown monitor" macros. I have 4 of them (5 if you count a separate feral one that replaces the Fire macro when in cat/bear on my feral druid) arranged in a square very close to my center screen, and then a smaller bar that includes my quick consumables and/or trinkets as applicable.


Each of the 4 big actions will change to show a different ability when I press shift or alt (I use ctrl for ventrilo), and many are specific to a form or--now that I found out about the [spec:x] modifier--my spec! The vast majority of my abilities are keybound, however, including many of the cooldowns crammed into these monitor macros. Aside from being a few click-uses, these monitors are a great way to quickly check the cooldown on an ability without having too much screen clutter!

The timer floating above the macros is from Debuff Filter and shows my current stacks of the Illustration of the Dragon Soul trinket. The health/mana bars are IceHUD. For a full run-down of my mods, click here!

3 comments:

Niniel said...

I hadn't noticed the spec modifier yet, thanks for pointing it out! =)

Kae said...

I was shocked when I stumbled across it on the Lunarsphere forums yesterday. Soon as I got home, I ran to my computer to see if it was actually real, rather than just a wish/hope/dream...

Ohh they are so nice! Now they just need to shorten the syntax for target=mouseover :) I may have to try a [tar=mouseover] just to see if that actually works. I get a weird suspicion that it does, but will have to test it.

Anonymous said...

Very neat, Kae!

Thanks for pointing it out!!!