Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Offtopic: Directoring

So, as some of you know, I spend quite a bit of my free time that isn't consumed by WoW with volunteering for Girl Scout camps. The biggest of these is a week-long resident camp that I'm now deputy-director of, and is starting in about a week and a half.

Needless to say, it is ze crunch time.

Some of the things that I have spent my spare time on lately:
  • Creating a detailed class plan for the wildlife science class activity
  • Organizing a guest speaker (with real animals)
  • Chasing down other volunteers that need to touch base and turn in paper work
  • Researching suggestions for those activities that haven't bothered to come up with a plan yet (/facepalm)
  • Testing out possible last-minute activities (I made a tiny hand-molded clay dragon this weekend)
  • Working on props and necessary signage
  • Creating cool little gifts for the 20 girls that I am the unit director for
  • Touching base with my own unit staff to assign them to different groups of campers
  • Figuring out how to fit my assigned programs' material purchases into the very limited budget
  • Creating a "camp tour" and rules guide for the staff to walk their groups through on the first day to make sure everything is covered
  • Reminding campers about space limitations and "YOU MAY NOT BRING" items on their packing lists
  • Proof-reading emails being sent back and forth between director and volunteers and parents
  • Watching the weather forecast and trying to pick a good night to take a small group of them for a night under the stars
  • Keeping the head director from completely loosing her head and exploding before camp even starts
  • Consuming fudge and cookies at an alarming rate.
When you're in charge, things are always popping up: problems, research, etc. Any good guild officer can relate to this :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember helping to organize the camps for the kids when I was still a teacher. It was fun, but really stressful. Your dragon looks cute ^^