Thursday, December 9, 2010

Quick Link

An online magazine made a post about the 7 most Catastrophic moments in WoW's history that was a fun little walk down memory lane. If you haven't been playing long, it's got videos, so it's a good history lesson on some of the big events--or rather, big problems--players have faced, in terms of bugs, lag, concerns, and "working as UNintended."

My favorite was the corrupted blood incident from Hakkar, which was somewhat replicated on a smaller extent from Vaelestrasz' bomb in BWL. KABOOM.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/12/world-of-warcraft-catastrophes/

2 comments:

Rades said...

Great read! I wasn't playing yet during the whole Hakkar-plague "event" but I heard about it during the Scourge Event, and have always been extremely intrigued about it. The similarities to real life quarantine scenarios is almost hard to believe, yet it really happened! Only in an MMO.

I remember reading about (I wasn't playing) something that happened in Ultima Online when a player killed Lord British, who was "visiting". It'd be like Metzen showing up in-game and someone killing him. He was speaking to a crowd of players, very RP-ish, and someone loosed a fire spell at him (as players tend to do.) To everyone's surprise, Lord British died! The backlash was HUGE, and very public, and people reacted as if someone real had actually been assassinated.

It's one of the legends that initially made me interested in these mysterious MMOs.

Kae said...

Wow, I hadn't heard about the UO 'assassination.' I'm fairly sure the WoW GM characters are invincible, though, just to prevent such things... at least the ones with the GM tag.

But I don't know for sure. I've never run into one, and if I did, I don't think I'd try to moonfire them :)